Sunday 30 July 2017

Studying Abroad – A Month To Go

In a months’ time I am going to be in Canada right at the start of my time studying abroad. I’m getting to a point where it feels like whilst I now know quite a lot there’s still quite a lot still to find out.

In the past week I found out where I will be living on campus and who I am going to be living with. Knowing where I will be living makes the whole experience feel more real. Now I have a more accurate idea of what it will be like for me when I’m living there. I’ve ended up being assigned the ‘International House’ which I’m pleased with. I think it’s going to be a good experience living with people from around the world. Dealing with culture shock and cultural adjustment will also probably be easier for me if I know that there are other international students around. I am also glad that I have a single room, given my tidiness preferences I didn’t want to have a shared bedroom.

Overall the main emotion I’m feeling at the moment is excitement. I’m excited to get out there and just experience new things. I really enjoy being a student and going abroad almost feels like I’m getting chance to experience being a student for the first time again, except this time will be better as I feel more confident and have learnt more about myself since first year. However there is a little bit of nervousness. Mainly at the moment it’s the things that I am still uncertain about which is making me nervous however that’s something which will resolve itself over time.

I first thought of doing a year abroad back when I applied to uni back in October 2014 so this has been a long time coming, possibly that’s part of why I don’t feel too nervous as that means I have been mentally preparing for it.


It still doesn’t feel like I will be in Canada ready to begin my Study Aboard adventure in a month. However I think I’m ready to go out there and seize the opportunities.

No comments:

Post a Comment