Saturday 30 May 2020

Books White People Should Read About Being Black in America



Right now I am sure we are all aware of the situation breaking out across the US following the death of George Floyd. I have also seen a lot of posts on social media about the need to dismantle the structures of racism and the need for white people to look at the ideas we have internalised as part of the work of dismantling racism. Everyone needs to learn to do better for the future.

I am a white British man, so I am writing this post from my perspective, sharing the books that have really helped me to understand the struggles black people face on a daily basis in America. I have a degree in American Literature and throughout my degree I focused on learning, reading, and writing about minority communities and oppression. So sharing a selection of books I think white people need to read to understand something about being black in America feels like a way that I can do something.


The Hate U Give (2017) by Angie Thomas

Probably one of the most relevant books you could be reading right now. The Hate U Give follows 16-year-old Starr Carter after she witnesses a white police officer shoot and kill her friend, Khalil. I suspect most people who will read a blog post like this have probably heard of The Hate U Give, but if you have not read this book yet you really need to.


Citizen: An American Lyric (2014) by Claudia Rankine

                A fascinating book that mixes poetry, essay, art and photography that is quickly becoming considered a modern classic. The breadth covered by Rankine in this book make this an ideal text to read if you are keen to learn more about being black in America. Subjects covered include racist micro-aggressions, racism in sport, and incidents police brutality.


Anything by Toni Morrison

I couldn’t write a post about black American books without including Toni Morrison, she is a legend. I suspect other posts might recommend you read Beloved (1987) a novel that explores slavery and intergenerational trauma – however whilst Beloved is a fantastic novel it is also difficult to read in form and might not be ideal if you are new to Morrison. Sula (1973) is my personal favourite book by Morrison though the way race functions is a little less obvious in that one. The Bluest Eye (1970) is perhaps Morrison’s strongest novel for exploring and understanding the effect that de-humanising racism has had upon the black community. I would also recommend reading Playing in the Dark (1992) a work of literary criticism which explores the way that the realities of race have tinged much of American life.


The Fire Next Time (1963) by James Baldwin

                The Fire Next Time is written in the 1960s exploring the role of race in American history against the backdrop of the black power movement as de-segregation started to happen. However whilst it is written very much in its time and moment, the tensions that Baldwin writes about still continue today and can be seen right now in Minneapolis. Baldwin has sadly been overlooked by history but he definitely deserves to be read, particularly as he was one of the first black gay writers.


Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl (1861) by Harriet Jacobs

I felt conflicted about if I should put a slave narrative on this list or not, however I think we need to talk about the history of slavery. I suspect that for a lot of people even if you know about the history of slavery you haven’t read about it from the perspective of an enslaved woman. Jacob’s narrative is autobiographical and incredibly powerful. This is a difficult book to read, and I remember feeling exhausted when I finished reading it, but it is also a book that should be read.


This list is not exhaustive by any means but it should be a good starting point. It is not up to black people to educate white people about race, however there are tons of books available for you to read to educate yourself about race, and now is the time to do the work for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment