Sunday 21 October 2018

Doctor Who – Rosa Review


Rosa was a truly fantastic episode, shifting the usual focus from monsters and adventures to an important moment in history.

This is the first episode in Doctor Who history to centre on a significant figure from black history. So it feels appropriate that Rosa Parks’ story was written by the first ever black writer for Doctor Who, Malorie Blackman making her TV Doctor Who debut.

I haven’t seen any reaction yet but I already feel like there’s going to be people saying Doctor Who is getting too political. My response to them is, grow up sci-fi and fantasy have always been political.

Rosa treated the real life story of Rosa Parks with the dignity and respect that she deserved.

The way that the horrible reality of racism in the 1950s was unflinchingly depicted was harrowing. I was not expecting an episode of Doctor Who to be so brutally honest.

Rosa was not a sad episode, there was a message of hope that things have and will continue to get better. I think this might be one of the most powerful Doctor Who episodes ever. It really made me cry.

No comments:

Post a Comment